Senior Experience Designer - Mojang
Mojang is a Microsoft-owned game developer studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. We are best known as the creators of Minecraft. We develop games with a strong community focus and try to put players first in everything we do.
About the role
We’re currently hiring a senior UI/UX designer to our Design team in Stockholm that works on a number of projects, including Minecraft, our new Launcher, parts of Minecraft.net etc. We of course love games at the office, but we're looking for someone with a playful and open mindset and you don't have to identify as a gamer to fit in or do a great job here.
We have a friendly and highly collaborative culture, and the Design team is right in the thick of it, working with many teams to ensure that our players have the best experience in our games and apps. You’ll be working from Stockholm where you'll be embedded in cross-functional feature teams consisting of developers and designers, while also being part of the Design team that collaborates on projects and run sprints together to align the design across the company.
The Design team works with Figma and GitHub to collaborate, and we aim for a transparent and inclusive workflow so that we can make sure to always learn from each other and align our work efforts. We value hi-fi prototypes and enjoy exploring animations in the team, primarily using Framer and Origami.
One of the biggest and most distinct challenges working with design at Mojang is the wide array of platforms that we support and are available on. You'll work with an array of devices and input methods, including Mac/Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox, Switch, which support touch, keyboard/mouse, gamepads, and sometimes the combination of all of them. You don't have to have experience working with all of these platforms, but working here requires an ability learn and pick up native conventions from a myriad of contexts, and designing systems that work with all of those constraints.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the UX and UI of one of the world's most popular games and brands, spanning a wide range of devices and input methods
- Form hypotheses informed by qualitative and/or quantitative data sets, iterate based on those hypotheses, and produce divergent design solutions for A/B-tests
- Motivate those around you and offer design leadership in big and small tasks
- Design features and products that enable us to meet our business goals together with a team of world-class engineers and designers
- Work closely with our sound and art department to make sure that the experiences that we build are not only intuitive and easy to use, but feel immersive and playful
- Drive user tests together with our dedicated user researchers (working from our user research lab in Redmond, WA)
- Continuously work to understand Mojang as a business, and help the design team to focus on the right problems
- Work with engineers (e.g. on GitHub) during the implementation phase to make sure that the design vision is realized according to plan
- Integrate results from qualitative and quantitative research, market and analysis and insights, as well as A/B test experimentation, into the design process
Qualities we seek
- At least three years of relevant experience
- Ability to visualize, prototype, and share ideas
- A positive attitude, and high level of integrity
- Playful and artistic, also with a high level of systematic thinking
- Highly organized team player and problem solver
- Ability to make quick and accurate decisions
- Ability to balance short term needs with a long term vision
- Deep understanding of the design process, and what roles qualitative and quantitative data play in it
- Fantastic communication skills, both within team and across teams, and across time zones
- We provide all employees with private health insurance
- You can allocate your personal education budget on anything (e.g. conferences, courses and literature) that will help your work. Develop yourself in an ever-changing industry with our generous education programme!
- We offer you a generous health benefit which you can use as you see fit through Wellnet, for example a gym membership, or why not with the masseuse that visits our office once a week
- The office is located on Södermalm, right in the heart of Stockholm
- We provide full relocation assistance for all applicants from outside of Sweden